It's not. We promise! You can help low-income New Yorkers receive tax refunds by participating in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. Each year, volunteers help put millions of dollars in refunds back into the pockets of people who need it. The average return is about $1,600 - money that make a big impact for a strugging family. With basic computer skills, basic math skills, and a few hours free each week, you can make a real difference. This year, we need 320 volunteers to help!
I'm interested. What do I need to do?
- Create a volunteer account on our website.
- Pass the basic test on the IRS website anytime between November and early January, and email us your test results: IRS Form 13615.
- We'll confirm receipt of your results & send you a link to sign up for training.
- During training, you'll let us know what shifts work best for you.
- After training, you'll receive your site placement & become a certified volunteer tax preparer!
- Once you've been trained, you'll commit to a weekly shift at a tax site in Manhattan, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens, or Staten Island where you’ll be a resource for clients to depend on for the tax season from January until April.
IRS Website & Resource Page
Practice Modules (enter code LEARNTWO)
Link & Learn Exam
Link & Learn Exam and Resource Page