FY23 Pantry Distribution at Community Kitchen & Pantry
Food Bank for New York City's Community Pantry distributes nutritious bags of groceries to 3,000 households each month, providing nearly 150,000 meals to the community. Volunteers are needed to help pack and distribute grocery bags with fresh produce and shelf-stable items for community members.
Tasks during the shift may include:
- Packing fresh produce and shelf-stable grocery bags in preparation for distribution to community members.
- Engaging with community members while distributing bags of groceries.
- Assisting with pantry clean-up at end of shift.
- Assisting with other pantry tasks, like sorting donations and receiving deliveries, as needed.
- We ask that volunteers are comfortable lifting 30-40 pounds repeatedly.
- If you are bilingual, please let us know onsite!
- We ask that you are flexible as the positions may vary or change based on the demand of distribution for the day.
- Limited onsite storage is available for personal belongings, but we recommend traveling light and leaving valuables at home. Please bring a reusable water bottle to stay hydrated throughout the shift.
- Our shift times account for arrival, check-in, and a brief orientation, so there is no need to come early! If you choose to arrive early, we ask that you come no more than 10 minutes prior to the start of your shift.
- If you are interested in volunteering with a group, please email Volunteer@foodbanknyc.org to coordinate!
- All volunteers must agree to our Volunteer Waiver, Covid-19 Waiver, and Photo Release Waiver in order to participate.
- Please only register for this opportunity if you are sure you can attend for the full shift duration. If anything changes with your availability, please cancel your registration on the Volunteer Portal at least 24 hours in advance.
- Volunteers are expected to present a neat appearance and dress according to the requirements of the volunteer shift.
- We ask that volunteers do not wear revealing attire such as muscle shirts, crop tops, “short shorts” or see-through clothing.
- Sturdy, closed-toe, closed-heel shoes, such as athletic sneakers or boots, are required for safety. Ballet flats, loafers, slides, sandals, flip flops, crocs, and high-heels are not allowed.
- Outdoor activity may be required, so please wear weather-appropriate attire.
- During colder months, please be sure to dress in warm layers. Indoor temperatures will vary due to frequent activity in and out of the pantry.
- Our staff reserves the right to turn away or reassign volunteers not dressed appropriately for their shift.
- Volunteers must be at least 14 years old to participate.
- All volunteers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent/legal guardian.
- All volunteers under the age of 18 must have our Volunteer Waiver, Covid-19 Waiver and Photo Release Waiver complete by a parent/legal guardian in advance of their volunteer shift.
- All volunteers under the age of 18 should contact email@example.com at least 3 business days in advance of their first shift to confirm they have met our chaperone and waiver requirements.
- Please note that our capacity to accommodate youth volunteers is subject to availability.
Food Bank For New York City Volunteer COVID-19 Policy:
- Food Bank for New York City has implemented regulations, policies, and protocols that will be continually updated and revised in accordance with on-going public health information and official guidance from the CDC, New York State Department of Health and New York City Department of Health.
- All volunteers must agree to our current COVID-19 Waiver in order to participate in-person.
- If you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 before your shift begins, please cancel your registration and stay home.
- If you test positive for COVID-19 or develop symptoms within the 48 hours following your shift, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org immediately.
- Effective Monday, October 10, 2022 face masks are encouraged, but no longer required while volunteering with Food Bank For New York City.
Age Minimum (with Adult): 14+, Minimum Age:18+, Court Ordered Volunteer - Allowed
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Sign up with a team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: